Monday, January 16, 2017

How Waverly Semi-Gloss Paints Performed on a Rock

I learned about Waverly paints from a fellow rock painter and thought I'd give them a try. They're available exclusively at Walmart in 2 oz. plastic bottles for less than $1.50 per bottle.

Plaid (the manufacturer) describes the paint as:
  • Semi-gloss
  • Highly pigmented
  • High-performance
  • Durable
  • Fade-resistant
  • Ideal for indoor and outdoor DIY craft projects
  • Works on decorative glass, wood, paper mache, terra cotta, concrete, and plastic

The hues I purchased were: Plaster (off white), Agave (blue), Rhubarb (coral), and Ink (black). (I was tempted to purchase more because all the colors were so pretty.)


For my test, I applied the plaster (off white) to one side of my stone as a base coat. I then painted small squares using the other 3 colors on both sides of the stone.


The results:
  • The coverage was good on both sides of the stone (although it took 2 applications of paint)
  • The paints had an ammonia odor which I did not like
  • The size of the bottle's opening made it messy to pour onto a palette
  • The paint is thick and would need to be thinned for detail painting
  • This paint formula would have worked well for my bird bath project

Here are the Waverly Inspirations Super Premium Semi-Gloss Acrylic Paint hues, however, some shades may not be available at your local Walmart.

Waverly Inspirations Super Premium Semi-Gloss Acrylic Paint Hues

Have you used these paints? Let me know what you think of them or how you've used them on rocks. 

Helpful Link: Waverly Inspirations Super Premium Semi-Gloss Acrylic Paints web page

© Cindy Thomas Painted Rocks

2 comments:

  1. no longer avaliable anywhere so sad loved this paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know the paint is no longer available. I loved this paint also and had planned on using it on some old furniture.

      Delete