Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Classic Design Ideas for Painted Rocks

Don't only rely on rock painting books for design ideas. Classic designs from books published years ago can easily be painted on rocks also.

For instance, the book "Pat Olson's Holiday Classics 1" (published in 1994) contains 37 designs (mostly bunnies) but also includes several patterns for Valentine's, St. Patrick's, and Patriotic-themed paint projects.

Note: When you click on certain links in this post, I may receive a commission for the purchase of products. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.



In addition to the 37 patterns, "Pat Olson's Holiday Classics 1" also includes general info about acrylic painting, painting terms, fabric painting, "watercoloring" with acrylics and an acrylic paint color comparison chart.

Each design pattern lists the brand of paint and colors to use, step-by-step, written instructions and indicates the page where the painted, finished design appears in the book.

Look at what I painted on a rock using two of the design patterns from Pat Olson's book!

I used these designs from the book - "Chunkie Bunny with a Heart" and "Sending My Love" - to paint this rock. One side featured the cute bunny and I took advantage of the reverse, heart-shaped side to paint a plaid heart.

"Chunkie Bunny with a Heart" and "Sending My Love"

For a St. Patrick's Day rock, I used the "Irish Children Chunkies" design and painted the girl on one side of the rock and painted the boy on the rock's reverse side.

"Irish Children Chunkies"

So, don't ignore out-of-print design and pattern books. They can be a valuable source of inspiration for your rock painting projects.

Helpful Links
Note: When you click on certain links in this post, I may receive a commission for the purchase of products. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

© Cindy Thomas Painted Rocks

2 comments:

  1. Delightful! What a great idea. Love the St Pat's rock.

    ReplyDelete